I came up with this horrible radio station as an April Fool’s Day joke while sitting in my college’s cafeteria over a decade ago. I wanted to have create a terrible web stream featuring the worst attributes of commercial radio I could think of, such as:
- A bad music mix (Oldies blended with today’s R&B)
- A terrible slogan (“The best mix of the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and today’s best music without the rap … psych! We play that, too!”)
So, why the name “Larry”?
The thing is, Denver radio listeners will already be familiar with radio stations that pop to life like animals in a Disney film. Denver has long had Alice at 106 (now labeled “Alice 105.9,” and for a very short time labeled “Damn 105.9“). I guess that stuck with my mind.
So my mind did a little mental math:
The biggest mystery to date is: Where did I come up with the name Larry?
- It could’ve been a high school project I did, called “Larry Goes to Hollywood.”
- It could’ve been legendary KNX 1070 Newsradio anchor Larry Van Nuys.
- It could’ve been a stroke in my mid-20s.